homestead - Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 09:50:57 -0400

Lynda wrote:
They sent out the requirement and then checked water useage as it should have gone down. If it didn't, the homeowner was sent a warning. Familys were given big rebates if they replaced their top loading washer with a front loader. Same with dishwashers.

I don't remember all the other stuff but there was a lot of incentives.

Oh yeah, there are incentive offers here, too. I thought you meant something else.

Businesses were the big problem and some were cited and then had their water locked off.

Yes. Some businesses are up in arms, but some are making the best of it...there is a car wash/cleanup place in town that is advertising, "clean the inside, not the outside" of your car to help save water.

At this point Lynda, almost everyone is concerned because every body of water, from small ponds to large reservoirs to rivers and creeks, is gone or almost gone. It is only the people with money who seem to be in denial with the attitude of "I'll just get it another way"

Of course, up here, water conservation is automatic. We don't get much rain ever, so folks are just used to conserving. The most common question at the grocery store is "how's your water supply this year."

It's the same here, in my little town, too, as most people have wells. But, region wide, there is a big problem with the lack of rain. The 5.5 million people in the Atlanta area don't have wells.

What's your nearest large city, I mean a city with over a million population, Lynda?

Bev

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.