homestead - Re: [Homestead] Riot for Austerity! 90% Reduction Emissions Project

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Riot for Austerity! 90% Reduction Emissions Project
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:00:33 -0700

At 6/17/2007 11:40 AM,Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

> I always think that maybe they are having fun. An odd thought but it could
> be.

Oh, I've known people who gardened just for the fun of it ... but they said
so.
Gardening for fun? Fine, admit so to oneself and go on. But I think part of
the "fun" is the illusion that they are saving money and/or saving the
environment.

So? It's their fun & their illusion I really don't see my place in their business except to gossip.

> A city?

I'd say anything but suburbs. In a properly done city one could put the
shopping basket over one's arm and go to the very, very, very local market and get
supper.

People do that today.

Suburbs don't work that way. They are a function of personal transportation.
One is far more dependent on a car in the suburbs than in the city or
country.

True enough today for the most part.

That is, so long as we are not mixing metaphors. You can't live in the
country and depend on a cash job 80 miles away and do without using a lot of
transportation fuel.

Anybody out there in internet land on the homestead list work over the internet? Live a good ways from the job and still do it without lot's of transportation fuel?
(Not me).

Just as most people who live in the country are not sustainable, too most
people in hte city aren't either. But both could be. The suburbs cannot.

"Cannot" is too final a word. There is too much 'gray' in my world for that word to work.

If I slowed down to 20 mph, it would
take an hour. I could do that. In fact sometimes I find myself driving slower
and slower anymore. Cars will tailgate and impatiently whip around me and
careen off into the distance.

That's just being an asshole.... <shrug>, I have days like that too.
To each his own.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net