homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:35:31 -0400

The neighbor is an elderly retired man who lives about 175 miles from this
family property. So I don't know if he uses it. At one point they were
cutting fishing poles from it. I know other people occasionally cut a stalk
but it is mostly mown by the highway department when it starts getting too
close to the road and falling over in wind.

We have mostly red clay; old played-out cotton land. This particular patch
of bamboo is on a very steep slope leading down to one of numerous
gullies. There is probably some humus/leaf cover from the nearby pine trees
and deciduous oaks/elms/sweetgums, etc. I'm not positive of our zone. I
just looked in the Rodale book called "Calender of Organic Gardening" and
it looks like we are either Zone 5 or 4. Usually, I plan on our last spring
frost date being around March 15, but we had a light freeze about 4 days
ago and the most snow we've ever had here was on March 25 several years
back. Rolling Piedmont. We're about 15 miles from Park Seed Company in
Greenwood, SC and Wayside Gardens are a little closer.