homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:54:52 -0700

On Mar 24, 2007, at 9:28 AM, clhw wrote:

One of our neighbors has some bamboo which probably reaches 20 feet tall
and about a 5 or 6 inch diameter. It grows thickly beside the highway in
one spot. He told us years ago that we could get any we wanted to plant for
ourselves and we've never done it. I have no idea what kind it is. Green
when mature.

Does your neighbor use it in any way? That sounds like a very usable size. What are the soil and moisture conditions where it grows? What is your climate zone?