homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 09:08:54 -0700 (PDT)

I was going through some of the product literature I
receive through a Landscape Architecture magazine.
Looking at several kinds of root barriers. Some are
like bottomless planters (Deep Root is one trade
name), sounds like a variation on the metal wall
mentioned below. The other is special fabric that
allows water to pass through but not root growth.
Doesn't seem like it would stop bamboo rhizomes but
doesn't look like it would stop any root at all, which
it does for some if not all plants.
I haven't had a chance to dig out my "Sunset" books
are CD, but if I remember right, bamboos spread by one
of 2 ways. clumping, which start new roots adjacent
to the existing, and spreading(can't remember the
exact term) which send out rhizomes. If I remember
right the clumping can be controlled by periodically
digging out the new shoots. The spreading is
controlled by cutting the rhizomes is primarily a
problem if the rhizomes reach all the way into another
planting.
Please understand this is based on memory from work
experience over ten years ago.
Rather than spending time confirming all this now, I
need to go to Paris (Mo) to see about getting a house
ready to sell. (sound familiar Gene?)
Van Dell