homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bamboo

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bamboo
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:58:32 -0400

We've the Cane here in Ky Appalachia.....rampant in some areas. I was
spoiled in bamboo sharings in the Sacramento area - many mistakenly
planted it in there yards and stretched neighborly friendships by doing
so! I taught organic gardening in a public waldorf school there, and so
welcomed all the bamboo for our playful garden structures for elementary
school kids from the hood. Amazing fun was had in our little gardens
with things created of bamboo and flowers. Cane will never do here - nor
would i introduce it into our neck of the woods - as i haven't spotted
that or Kudzu anywhere close by - a minor miracle! Oh - no Pampas Grass
yet, either.......did i tell you we lived in a remote spot?!
Quest for useful bamboo is always on - and we always seem to get what we
need along the way ;-)
Back to planting, Crabapples, Peach, and making holes for 7 new pear and
apple trees coing tomorrow as gifts from a
budding grafter friend!

> Yup, we have the same, and after reading the article, I now know it
as rivercane. :)
> I think we actually have the hill cane, too, because I have seen
bamboo without leaves.