homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 23:21:12 -0600

On 2/1/07, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

I should be making cheese from storebought milk. I think it would be
cheaper than buying it, but I just haven't had time.

I doubt it would be cheaper, and I really doubt that it would taste
any better. Really. It takes 10 lbs of milk to make a pound of cheese.
Store-bought milk has already been homogenized and pasteurized and
generally beaten up, so the cheese from it is likely to be pretty
blah.

I can't remember how much it costs for us to do this, but we did do it
two years after buying the generator. It wasn't that expensive because
Ron did it himself and it seems like we did it for under $50--$30 sounds
right..and we wondered why we had procrastinated doing it for so long.
If you are interested, I will try to get Ron to tell you what he did. I
know zip about electricity.

It's not that cheap if you have an electrician do it, which I did
about 10 years ago. IIRC, the bill was in the $300-400 range.

We have a crawl space, but I am more afraid of snakes and spiders than
of tornadoes, so I barricade myself in TJ's closet with a bunch of
pillows and sleeping bags, my purse, important stuff, shoes, flashlight,
and the Baygen.

I live in a Civil-War-era pile of bricks, and I assume they would all
fall in on me if the house took a direct hit. Pix are now up at
http://tinyurl.com/2mjmtz. I do have a basement, sturdy rafters that
hold the house up even as we speak, and heavy duty stairs that I could
sit under. I think it would come down to if anyone wanted to dig me
out.

Marie