homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 12:16:27 -0600

On 2/2/07, VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com> wrote:
Marie,
I would be interested in pictures of the civil war era
pile of bricks, at least if it is still recognizable
as such. I'ma little jealus we have so few civil war
era structures left here.

It's the house in the top row: as is the case for many old houses in
Menard County, it's made of soft brick, which is why it's painted.
That picture was taken in the late 1980s. The house hasn't changed
much except it has a new roof, the old one having blown mostly away in
a horrendous windstorm.

I think one reason we have so many old houses around here is that
brick was cheap. At one time there was a kiln by the creek just down
the hill.

Marie