homestead - [Homestead] Storm cellars, was Unpreparedness

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Storm cellars, was Unpreparedness
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 15:18:07 -0700

I've not had the time to really research storm cellar options,
so I'm not sure how I will build it (or how much of the project I will
try to contract out). Since its construction is a complete unknown to
me at present, so is its cost, and I've no idea when it will be in the
budget. ***hint to list members: if you have some great ideas on storm
cellars, I'd love to hear them!!!!***

Gloria, consider building a root cellar that doubles as a storm cellar. Do you have a hillside close to your house? Even a slight slope can be augmented with fill and excavation.