homestead - Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Unpreparedness
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:35:09 -0600

On 2/2/07, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:
Cris, my friend, thinks reds have more instinct for
herding because they haven't been specifically bred in the US like many
do for the black and white borders...people want those BW borders
because that is what they think of when they think BC.

Lucy is the herder here. Cora would be happy to cuddle and give all
herdable animals (except chickens) a wide berth. She's afraid of goats
and donkeys. She'll try to herd but if they look at her, she'll
retreat behind me.

Their black & white mother was (maybe still is) a great herder; their
father was a red & white couch potato.

I got Lucy when she was 6 weeks old; she's a brat with tons of
confidence. I got Cora when she was a year old because the breeder
hadn't found a good placement for her. She is loving and grateful to
be here. And she's fascinated by chickens (and can't be trusted alone
with them).

Marie