homestead - Re: [Homestead] Notes From The Farm (Winter 2007)

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Notes From The Farm (Winter 2007)
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 11:31:40 -0800

Lynda wrote:

So, it isn't errors in Carter's book, it is folks that want history written their way and get bent out of shape when someone doesn't stick with the current PC version of history.

Lynda, who hates to have to agree with Bill, yuck, yuck, yuck <g>

You seem to be using the expression "PC" in a way that I'm not familiar with.

The first time I heard it, it was from John Nieto, an acquaintance from the late '70s. He was quite the radical back then, before settling into a deathstyle as a closeted priest. Anyway, he told me that "PC" was the latest term (back then) for characterizing candidates who had all the "correct" views: pro-abortion, pro-immigration, pro-gun control, pro-welfare, pro-Gay rights, pro-legalization, etc. This is definitely the complex of values that conservatives intend, when they refer to political correctness.

In your usage, it seems to mean something that has been the accepted view all along, like something you'd read in your dad's old history books This is quite different, since people like John (the old one) were decidedly paddling against the current.

Bill
S. Oregon coast