homestead - [Homestead] Seed saving questions

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Seed saving questions
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:55:46 -0500

I just found a coffee can full of OP/heirloom seeds that I grew and
saved from 1998. They aren't molded or anything and have been in my
closet all this time. Assuming I plant them, what kind of germination
should I expect from seeds that old...it's a variety of stuff,
everything from corn to tomatoes to cukes and squash...
Also, I went to the feed store today to get some black oil sunflower
seeds and I noticed that they had already put out some 2007 seed. Since
I have a newfound love of okra, I decided to buy some Clemson
Spineless-the old standby (I already have dwarf and red types) to grow
this summer. So, I bought some and they packaged it in a small "mayo
seeds" envelope. The seeds had been loose, then weighed and packaged.
So I brought them home and tossed them on the counter when I came in,
went about doing other stuff, then went outside to burn trash. When I
came back in, I got a whiff of what smelled like the garden department
at Home Depot. I have named this smell, the Ortho odor,,,,and that is
what I had smelled. Well, obviously, this smell is not usual for my
house as my house smells like dogs and cigarettes<g>, so I look around
and finally pick up and sniff the okra seeds...yup...Ortho odor...
I thought back and recalled that the seed display was right next to the
garden area where all kinds of chemicals are located. So my question
is,,,,should I toss the seeds, I mean, if I can smell Ortho, then
there's gotta be traces on the seed, right? Or maybe, it's not the
seed, but the package, and again, should I repackage the seed or toss
them? What say ye..

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.