homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cloned animals safe to eat

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cloned animals safe to eat
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:58:15 -0800

Well, I was really disappointed, I can tell ya! Sow Organics is going out
of business, so that will be one less place to get seeds.

Seeds of Change still has a bunch of different eggplant seeds and they've
added some new and different things like tomatillos, radicchio, quinoa and
amaranth.

I just went to check some of my favorites and they still have a pretty good
variety but then I checked some of the more widely known and they don't seem
to have the variety they had years ago. I wonder if a lot of it isn't
because lots of folks are just going with the generic seeds and there isn't
enough market to keep a wide variety. I did check one of my favorites
(Redwood City Seed Company) for fear that they might have reduced the
varieties they have. I mean, one has gotta have peppers <g> and they do
still have more pepper seeds than one would image possible. ~~sigh~~
Wouldn't want to have my chili compromised <g>

I dunno, but speaking of genetic diversity, and diversity in general,
I've been looking at seed catalogs this year, and is it my imagination
or are catalogs cutting back on what they are offering, both in hybrids
and in heirloom stuff. In so many magazines, I see only one or two
selctions for a crop. Take strawberries...it seems like in the old
days, you could find 6-10 varieties of everbearing types,,,,now, maybe
there are 3. Anyone noticed this? Two kinds of asparagus, 3 kinds of
eggplants, etc. etc.

Bev

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:
Question,
Do you think that cloning is a bigger threat to
genetic diversity than the current system of selective
breeding and planting of hybrids?
It seems to me that genetic diversity has been in
jeopardy for a long time.
Van Dell

--- Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

The more
cloned animals that are raised, if this becomes
truly economically
viable, the less genetic diversity there will be.
Genetic diversity,
in my opinion anyway, is part of our food
security.

Absolutely. This is one reason I support
open-pollinated seed
sources. There is, I believe, a government seed bank
in Colorado. But
who wants to rely on the government to take care of
serious issues
like food?

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/vdjor%40yahoo.com

Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.