homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cloned animals safe to eat

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cloned animals safe to eat
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 20:00:22 -0500

I dunno, but speaking of genetic diversity, and diversity in general, I've been looking at seed catalogs this year, and is it my imagination or are catalogs cutting back on what they are offering, both in hybrids and in heirloom stuff. In so many magazines, I see only one or two selctions for a crop. Take strawberries...it seems like in the old days, you could find 6-10 varieties of everbearing types,,,,now, maybe there are 3. Anyone noticed this? Two kinds of asparagus, 3 kinds of eggplants, etc. etc.

Bev

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:
Question,
Do you think that cloning is a bigger threat to
genetic diversity than the current system of selective
breeding and planting of hybrids? It seems to me that genetic diversity has been in
jeopardy for a long time.
Van Dell

--- Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

The more
cloned animals that are raised, if this becomes
truly economically
viable, the less genetic diversity there will be.
Genetic diversity,
in my opinion anyway, is part of our food
security.

Absolutely. This is one reason I support
open-pollinated seed sources. There is, I believe, a government seed bank
in Colorado. But who wants to rely on the government to take care of
serious issues like food?

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/vdjor%40yahoo.com