homestead - [Homestead] Design dilemma

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Design dilemma
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 02:30:41 -0500

Years ago, I build a oval shaped, tiered strawberry bed out of
dry-stacked rocks. While it was pretty, I should have mortared them in
place because it did not last. Furthermore the rocks became a haven for
ants and scorpions and black widows, so picking strawberries became a
dangerous activity. Moles loved it, too. I liked the oval on oval
okay, but now I am looking at other options for a new bed. Most of the
tiered beds you buy are concentric circles of 6,4 and 2 feet in
diameter. They say you can put 50 plants in them. I have strips of
metal siding left over from my raised bed project that are 8-10 inches
wide and 20 feet long. Obviously, I can make a circle about 6 feet in
diameter, and since I have 3 strips (60 feet total at present), I can
make a 3 tiered concentric ring bed. The problem is, for me,
aesthetics. I just can't get excited about a round bed. I was thinking
triangles, and played around with tiering triangles and alternating them
like a hexagram. I think equilateral triangles are cool, plus since we
are amateur astronomers, a hexagram seems to fit with EarthNSky. I like
it's multi-religion symbolism as well. It would leave a large area in
the center, and since I want multiple tiers and a hexagram alone would
only give me one height, I suppose I could put a circle in the center to
add an additional tier. That, too, would reflect the Earth part of
EarthNSky. It wouldn't, however, be the easiest thing to construct, and
I haven't calculated the growing space yet. Stacked equilateral
triangles would be easier.
Using the metal siding pretty much rules out ovals. It would be
difficult to have the oval maintain its shape, I think.
What say ye about these options? What should I do? I really want
height, 3 tiers, and I want to be able to easily reach the center, like
I would be able to do with the 6 ft diameter round bed. Suggestions?

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.