homestead - Re: [Homestead] Permaculture

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:42:39 -0500

All this talk of preparing for senior years leads me to think of
permaculture. Design your homestead in a purposeful manner, that each
utility, structure, plant and animal fits into a circle of life.

This is a good way to do things. I'm 46, so in 20 years would like to
have my place in a state where some things run themselves. Just a year
into it, it seems a dream, but definately the way to be thinking now.

I have fruit trees planted in an area that will be the chicken area
once the trees get going (in a few years).

I have a goat shed with straw as bedding. For now, the chickens like
to clean up any spilled feed when I grain the goats, I throw a small
handful of corn into the straw bedding now and then and the chickens
do a great job of stirring up the bedding, the goat berries roll down
and there is fresh bedding on the surface.

Rob - Va