homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 01:24:18 -0500

sanrico AT highdesert.com wrote:
I've seen some really good ideas on gardening, accessibility, etc. come from
this
thread this evening (regarding provisions for aging), but have not seen -
unless
I missed a post - any thoughts on the care of / ability to keep livestock,
chickens, etc. It seems as though, without help, there is no way to continue
with
this aspect of...independence?

One of the reasons I sold my goats a few years back is because I couldn't physically take care of them and had so many medical bills that I couldn't afford help or equipment to pick up the slack.
I already mentioned automatic waterers for every farm critter. That alone is a big help in being able to take care of animals.
If I had had enough money, I would have bought a milking machine for the goats. I know someone who trims hooves, and since this doesn't have to be all the time, I could/would teach and then pay someone to do that as needed. I still had enough dexterity to give injections to my goats, so I was okay there.
As for sheep, for the first few years, I just had the family for help in corralling and vaccinating, trimming hooves, etc. It was hard work, chasing sheep around then tackling them, tying their hooves, and loading them into the back of the truck to take to the processor or sale. We butchered some at home, but as we get older, we would likely use the meat processor more. The big improvement came in the last few years when I got a herding dog. A dog can happily do in 10 minutes better than what I could do all day long. A herding dog is a lifesaver for the elderly shepherd. I chose hair sheep instead of wool sheep because I did not want to shear wool or dock tails...
I've never had cows, so I can't offer any suggestions there..other than maybe to get something like a Dexter since it is smaller and easier to handle.
For horses and other equines, I'd say you just need to have them well trained BEFORE you become infirmed. They can help you if you have trained them properly.
Poultry doesn't take that much care, neither do rabbits....both are easily handled from a wheelchair or walker.
For livestock, I think it would be important to make the right choices to begin with. If you like goats, but can't milk them regularly, raise meat goats and steal some milk when you are able. Teach your horses to pull. Don't get animals that require shearing if you can't do it yourself.(llamas, sheep, fiber goats, etc.)

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky