homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging lists and listmates?!
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:44:22 -0800

The loft is great for horses. Much easier to have traps to drop the hay down than trying to carry it from stall to stall, opening doors and lifting the flakes up into feeders or opening doors and having to scoot into the stalls to toss the flakes. So, we'd go around the lofts and just drop a flake down to each feeder.

On the other side of the barn we had the lambing area and had shoots to send hay down to the ewes.

The whole place was set up for ease of feeding during the rainy season so that we didn't have to tromp through the mud.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "VAN DELL JORDAN" <vdjor AT yahoo.com>

As much as I love the traditional barn (a combination
interest in architecture, history, and rural culture)
I think the hayloft became obsolete when bales
replaced loose hay. I would like to build a
traditional barn but I haven't come up yet with a
sufficiant "practical" justification for building that
way.