homestead - [Homestead] Pot bigger than corn

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pot bigger than corn
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:56:47 -0700

This is way too much fun to not post in its entirety. From: http:// time.blogs.com/daily_dish/

Pot bigger than corn...

18 Dec 2006 10:33 am

[Alex]

It's long been a staple of the marijuana legalisation crowd that cannabis is America's biggest cash crop. Conveniently a new report - produced by a pro-legalisation analyst - assures us that it is iondeed the case and that the value of US-produced pot is somewhere north of $35bn - making cannabis more valuable than corn.

No surprise here:

The report estimates that marijuana production has increased tenfold in the past quarter century despite an exhaustive anti-drug effort by law enforcement.

Nor, sadly, here:

Tom Riley, a spokesman for the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, cited examples of foreign countries that have struggled with big crops used to produce cocaine and heroin. "Coca is Colombia's largest cash crop and that hasn't worked out for them, and opium poppies are Afghanistan's largest crop, and that has worked out disastrously for them," Riley said. "I don't know why we would venture down that road."

Good grief. Where to begin? How hard can it be to understand that it's the illegality of coca and poppy production that is primarily responsible for fostering banditry in Colombia and Afghanistan respectively?

I'm entirely persuaded by the philosophical appeal of the libertarian argument on drug policy, but this battle will only be won on practical rather than philosophical or even moral grounds. Alas, the war on the war on drugs shows few signs of being any more successful than the war on drugs itself.

So there you have it, homesteaders, the ultimate cash crop continues to energize. Ah, the inconvenience of the law. But, hey, when it is deemed legal, the price will crash. Hm, dare we speculate on possible collusion between bureaucrats and producers? Dare we speculate on how many bureaucrats are users? Ah, they probably don't inhale. Right?