homestead - [Homestead] Tree planting

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tree planting
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 10:46:07 -0500

I've spent part of the last two days digging holes. They say you need a $5 hole for a $1 plant, and since my pecan trees were, to date, the most expensive tree/plant edibles that I have added to the homestead, I wanted to get it right.
I bought 3 pecan seedlings from Womack Nursery in Texas. 2 are Kanza and one is Pawnee. I was going to buy Oconee as a Kanza pollinator, but they were out of stock, so I am hoping Pawnee will do well here.
I ordered 4-5' tree seedlings, the largest UPS will carry supposedly, and I expected to get a "whip" or "stick" that was a total length of 5 feet, from the tip of the root to the tip of last year's growth. NOT.
I'm going to take a picture of them later and I will post them, but these are the most awesome bare root trees I have ever ordered. The roots alone are 28" long, and where they cut the tree to ship it, at the top, the trunk is as thick as my thumb. Trunks are straight and have buds. So, I am digging a 3.5' deep hole, not an easy task on Rock Creek. It took me 30 minutes to dig one yesterday, and that was in garden soil, and I spent another 30 minutes digging over near the creek bank and only got down 12" or so. I have to finish that hole today, and well as dig another one out behind the barn beyond the old goat yard. It'll be another creekbank hole..god help me. I can only dig holes for an hour or so, and after that, I feel it too much the next day, so I pace myself. I decided on planting the pecans about 15 feet from the creek because I know that in nature they are found near creek and river banks. They like the moisture and have huge (trust me on this) HUGE taproots.
Anyway, I'm real pleased with the seedlings I got and can recommend Womack to anyone who is thinking of ordering pecans this year. It's worth the money. (TJ is actually paying for it as he will be the one who reaps the benefit of the trees after we are long dead and gone, but still, it's a good investment)

Bev, off to get the trees in the ground before the rain starts tomorrow.
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky

  • [Homestead] Tree planting, EarthNSky, 12/19/2006