homestead - [Homestead] My plans for solo building

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] My plans for solo building
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:15:15 -0800

Thanks to all of you for your comments. I do believe I have a good grasp of the requirements and methods of building but it never hurts to get some more ideas. You did give me some good ideas and some new things I had not run across before. Vertical log building looks like a good idea and may one worth playing with. I still have concerns about rot in the below grade sections of the poles. Dry stack concrete block with Surface bonding concrete is something I had not know about and would be good for foundations as long as I can get past the embedded energy in concrete. There were other ideas and confirmation of my own ideas.

Here are my plans. Remember like all plans these are written in the sands, waiting for wind and tide to wash them away and present a clean sheet. I already have a home, a 256 sq. ft. home on wheels that I have pulled from the Pacific to the Atlantic and back. It has been pulled the length of California and back. It has gone to Texas up into Missouri then back through Wyoming. It has been a home in back yards, on dead end streets, on organic farms and homesteads. It is a good home.

My plan is to find some property I can afford. I cannot afford much so to maximize land I am looking for inexpensive. I need a place of moderate temperatures, decent soil, good rain fall, local streams and lakes, and trees. I have a few areas I am interested in and a favorite. That is next summers job, try to find something.

After getting the property I plan to look for a decent industrial tractor with a loader, late 70s to early 80s should be affordable. With a box blade, brush hog, and a post hole digger I will be ready. First step will be to pull trailer on the property and set it up. Then I will build a 20 by 30 pole shed for storage, one or two bays lockable for tools. That will also be the start of a water catchment system. Over the next few years I will build a 30 by 30 pole shop and a small pole shed for a smithy and welding shop.

Then I should have the garden going and know where I want to build a less than 750 sq. ft. house, more than likely pole construction. I have a complete woodworking shop, air nailers, welding shop, smithy, etc. With a tractor with a front end loader I can add a boom and electric winch and be able to set poles and other things myself. There are always people around looking for seasonal work so that will also be used.

Lots to be worked out while the tides and wind erase all traces.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.