homestead - Re: [Homestead] My plans for solo building

  • From: Keith B <bartermn AT epix.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] My plans for solo building
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:31:04 -0500

Don Bowen wrote:
Thanks to all of you for your comments. I do believe I have a good grasp of the requirements and methods of building but it never hurts to get some more ideas. You did give me some good ideas and some new things I had not run across before. Vertical log building looks like a good idea and may one worth playing with.

Hey Don,
I wish you luck with your sandy plans. I read an article in Backwoods Home (I think) about a woman who built or was building a vertical log home. It was interesting but I never did learn how she fastened the bottom of the logs to the floor. I seem to remember a neat chainsaw jig she came up with to cut the ends of the logs square.

There are dozens of acres around my hilltop that were planted in red pine by conservation classes at our high school in the fifties and sixties. The logs of our cabin are some of them. Our soils don't go very deep and a lot of those trees are blown over every year. My brother had his ten acres cleared of the remaining pines not long after we took down enough for our cabin. He said they didn't bring much money, not enough to doze the place like he wanted. The stumps are hidden now by weeds and saplings but it looked like hell right after he clear-cut it.

I thought I had a book with a chapter on vertical log building but can't find it; maybe it was borrowed from a library. Anyways, do you have any recommended websites or books about it?