homestead - [Homestead] Word abuse

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Word abuse
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 09:18:13 -0700

You're certainly right about having a point -- I just get irritable
when anyone brings up naturalness when they're arguing about something
being safe.

The word "natural" is much abused these days, perhaps most notably in processed food marketing, and so much so that natural has less original meaning. It has been co-opted by marketers much as the word "gay" has been co-opted by the homosexual community.

As an occasional wordsmith I am put off by the misuse of words by marketers, politicians, bureaucrats, and even journalists who know better. Hence my umbrage at the sensationalist "bubble" applied to a historically cyclical real estate market. The bubbles of gum and champagne bear small resemblance to a market but are too fun to resist. As "war" became the description of choice for political causes, bubble-mania is no doubt few screens away. I see an impending incoherence bubble.