homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mad Cow Disease

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mad Cow Disease
  • Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 09:40:01 -0700

In case anyone didn't read it that cared to when I posted it the last time,
this is an informative article from The Hightower Lowdown re mad cow:
http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/node/297

And in case anyone wonders, I believe that Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease or mad cow disease or any other name for the same thing, a brain-wasting disease that humans incur from eating meat from diseased animals, is a natural condition that has existed in nature for a long time, can be found in squirrels, deer and elk as well as domestic animals. It exists worldwide, and the USA is in the world. It may be that it takes many years from ingestion to cause death.

My posting was to illustrate the entertainment that experts of all stripes provide. Adversarial positions sell. I expect homesteaders to think more clearly than the general public. Nonetheless, it is necessary to regularly note that one must believe nothing that one reads or hears via the media. If a subject is of importance, it must be widely researched and ideally personally verified. Be careful to factor in your personal biases.

The TIME magazine article I quoted was worthwhile as a reality check. Here we have gone on at length about mad cow disease as if it were a substantial factor of life to be carefully considered. We have spent very little time on driving safety or smoking. If the article is correct, about 44,000 of our fellows die in auto wrecks each year and smoking causes about 1,200 American deaths--per day.