homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 21:08:19 -0800

Not necessarily. Folks learn to adjust to their limits and their differences. I was hit in the eye with a rock when I was about 5. It scratched the cornea and they said first that I would be blind in that eye and then later there was a list about as long as my arm of things I wouldn't be able to do.

Well, I'm not blind and I have adjusted just fine. I can even shoot the heads of thistles at 100 yards and more without any problem even with the resulting stimatizm I have.

That doesn't mean that everyone with a stigmatizm will be able to shoot the way I can. It means that we all adjust, that we're all individuals and that all folks who have the same problem don't present with the same conditions nor that they will always present with the same conditions.

Of course, it could be that my parents tore the list up and told me "you can do anything you damn well please" and then we went on with life as though nothing had happened. Well, except the little incident with the father of the kid who threw the rock but, hey, that's another story <g>

Besides, I'd be willing to bet that you didn't treat those kids as some kind of DD kid has to ride the "little bus" and who needed special ed and instead gave them positive reinforcement of their abilities and gave them confidence to be themselves. And, bingo, stigma gone, self-adjustment occures.

Lynda

----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Oh, probably not. Not much anyway.

If it is a visual and neurological problem, it would be consistent would it
not? You would not expect to be able to talk the child out of being dyslexic
even for a moment, would you? Much as you can't talk a person out of being
deaf.

And yet, I never found one single instance where that was so.