homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 13:31:16 -0800

O.K., so where are you disagreeing with what I said?

"Learning styles different between humans and neurological processing differs
between various humans. So, while dyslexia is, in part, a learning style,
it isn't only a learning style but is also a visual and neurological
problem."

No where did I say it was a disability. It IS a different way of learning. It is a different way of seeing and processing. It can be a problem for some folks. Doesn't make it a disability.

Your example of your daughter clearly demonstrates what I said, different learning style, different visual and neurological processing of information and that *real* dyslexia exists. Although you'll have to explain what the heck the knitting and crochetting have to do with it.

Lynda

----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

One of my daughters displays all the classic indicators of dyslexia the most
stark of which is that she sees figures and words backwards. Mechanically and
invariably most numbers and letters are written backwards and the order of
words and numbers are remembered backwards. When someone leaves a phone number
that daughter has written down, we know to dial it backwards. (and she has
all the rest as well). As unschoolers we left her alone to find her way about
that. She was reading fluently by eight. Also, and my story is it's because
we didn't interfer with her, she can look at one of her dolls or a person, and
recently a puppy, one time and sew, knit, or crochet a garment for them and
it fits perfectly the first time.