homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 22:44:06 -0600

On 12/2/06, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:

Right now the nanny state is in high gear. Programs to regulate and mandate
every last little thing in the world! And that includes that pregnant
mother that is in that minority whose kids end up being problems for
everyone.

I'd say that right now we don't have a nanny state but an enforcer
state that wants to make sure that pregnant woman is working 40 hours
a week, and if she's taking drugs that she be arrested and prosecuted
to the full extent of the law.

All those programs, all those dollars, all those laws haven't done a
blooming thing to change any of that. Little Johnny still lives in a
ghetto, still ends up going to prison and still can't read or write even
though millions of dollars are spent to make it otherwise.

That's probably because so many of the dollars thrown at the problem
have stuck to the fingers of providers of one kind or another. For
NCLB, just for example, the private tutoring plans have funded many an
enterprise, but I'd bet that they haven't helped many kids.

Iraq was supposed to be modeled on the ideal of total privatization
and free market. It ended up (was planned as?) a funnel of public
money to private corporations. If the poor get anything out of these
programs it's a pittance compared to what government and private
agencies get.

So, would shutting the whole enterprise down produce great things?
Probably not. I suspect it would produce a reign of violence and chaos
along the lines of what we're seeing in other areas of the world where
civil government has been abandoned -- in other words, more of the
same that we're already seeing in the poorest neighborhoods.