homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 19:50:29 EST

> Your crassness(spelled correctly) is forgiven,

You might have noticed, Ray, that I spelled 'positive' as 'posiive' just
below that which I would assume a reasonable person to pass off as a typo.
There
are those who think informal blather on a list should be proofread as if it
were being submitted for publication. Obviously I am not one of those
people.

> > In general, the only problem I have with homeschooled children is the
> lack of social skills demonstrated by many (not all) I have known. I have
> voiced this before, and have had many of you tell me that this is
> irrelevant.

Not irrelevant. I don't know of many if any homeschoolers who say it is
irrelvelant, just the opposite. Our family physician whose nine children
were
homeschooled is wont to tell how when people bring up the objection about
'socialization', his reply is "My point exactly."

In general, in fact in just about all cases, homeschoolers are known for
their quiet, polite, adultlike demeanor. In public they are in sharp
contrast to
the shove and compete mentality of the government schooled. Many, many, many
times people have approached us in public and said, "Your children are
homeschooled, aren;t they, we could tell because they are so well behaved."

What usually passes for 'lack of socialization' is in reality a lack of
schooling operant conditioning. Sure, homeschooled children don't socialize
on the
same terms as children do in schooling situations, thank God. The only
institutions that operate on the same social mores as government schools are
prisons. No thanks.