homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 08:15:46 EST

In a message dated 11/27/2006 2:26:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mmcharry AT gmail.com writes:

> Using public school to explain the numerous failures of the society at
> large strikes me as a dogmatic position, nearly religious in its
> intensity.

Again, the praxis of the matter seems just to sail on by unnoticed. Society
is NOT failing. It is functioning exactly as it is designed to function.
And
it maintians that function mainly through govenment schools.

There is a religious-like component to it though. Among true believers of
the fundamentalist type, when they find that one among them is a complete
infidel, it never occurs to them that the person has given a lot of thought
to their
religious (or lack thereof) position, that they have examined that philosophy
and its effects and found it wanting. No. Almost universally the response
is, "Oh, someone in a church somewhere must have offended you or hurt your
feelings and that's why you think that way." That is, take a person who's
motivations ARE religious or religious-like and challange them, and they can
but look
upon you as if it is YOU who are zealot.

Government schooling operates as an indoctrination. It is only natural that
seeing someone without that indoctrination, someone not stewed and steeped in
the common thought, .... it is only natural to view THEM as the religious
zealot and not themselves.

> . It's important to save your own
> kids, but if you don't speak up for all kids, your efforts may not

That is, of course, as meaningless as saying that if you feed you own
children healthy, nutritious, whole foods, you effort may not amount to much
until
you do something about ALL children.

Unschoolers DO speak up for all kids, just exactly as all nutritionists speak
up for all kids but only have the prerogative to feed their own. We can't
make choices for any but ourselves.