homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:37:22 -0500

On 11/27/06, Lisa K.V. Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com> wrote:

We still struggle with our decision to let our oldest son, Spencer, attend
high school.

Lisa

I, too, was uncomfortable with putting my children in government schools. A
good school would have been fine for my older two--I am not a devout
unschooler, and we had been preparing for the time when they would go to
college by adopting some school-y textbooks and assignments. But this
government school (the "best" in Tallahassee) has been really hard for me to
come to terms with. There's no need to list the problems, the same list
would do for just about any school. The one bright spot is the choral music
program. It's headed by an absolutely fabulous director, the kind who
change students' lives and inspire filmmakers.

I worried most about my youngest. He was in sixth grade when he entered the
government school. His pursuits had not been particularly academic up to
that point. I needn't have worried, though. He's retained his interests
and his delightful lack of sophistication.

Cathy

I've met many bright unschoolers over the years, but we have often
referred
to some (not all) we've met as "no schoolers" because they don't appear to
do any school work. Our youngest son is friends with an unschooled brother
and sister, the boy is 13 and struggles to read and do basic math. My son
is
frustrated that their school work is done by or before noon, he
occasionally
asks why he does math every day and his friend does not. Then we remind
him
that he reads well and is slightly ahead in math. And when he's all done
he
can still go play outside and be a boy--usually a couple hours ahead of
those in p.s.

Lisa