homestead - Re: [Homestead] Schools

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Schools
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 07:27:03 -0600

Some of my happiest memories from my years growing up are my
experiences in the grade school and high school orchestras. I played
violin and LOVED it. The year our high school string quartet went to
state was such an amazing experience for me. Now, folks thought I was
a little strange as a kid, walking around humming the second violin
part to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony (we also played in a symphony with
the band kids), but, in addition to horses, music was a great passion
(it still is), and the public school system allowed me to pursue it to
my heart's content. I also played piano, and I would play for the
chorus in grade school, for plays, and I played for our graduation. I
know for sure that if I had been home schooled, I'd never have gotten
the chances to do what I did, musically. I know that I'd not have had
as many opportunities to overcome my native shyness and stage fright,
and I'd probably not have been able as easily, later in life, to give
talks in front of a thousand people, had I not had those sorts of
performance opportunities at a young age. I'm sure there are examples
of home schooled kids who get to do things like that and more, but I
know I'd not have been one of them.

Oh, yeah. I also loved playing on the grade school basketball team
before I stopped growing. I can still shoot hoops, and I still love
the game. I'll never forget the first time my mom met my basketball
coach. We were at the store and my new coach, a very tall young black
man, came up to me and talked about my uniform. My mom, though
generally fairly liberal, was a little shocked and taken aback. <evil
grin>

Were there negatives to going to a public school? Sure! But I learned
early on to fight for what I believe in, and I learned how to deal
effectively with bullies and petty tyrants (teachers). I went to a
somewhat rough, inner city school. I learned early to FIGHT. But, that
early experience in self-defense, as it turned out, saved my life in
later years, so even that wasn't so bad after all. I'd not be here
writing this now if not for that.

I also had some wonderful teachers along the way who appreciated me
for who I am and who encouraged me in questioning everything. I had
one who would say, when I would ask a challenging question about what
was in a text book, "well go to the library and do some research and
let us know!" I spent many hours happily researching and sharing what
I learned! And I learned to question authority.

I know this means nothing to zealots. Just thought I'd share.

Gloria

On 11/27/06, Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/27/06, Lisa K.V. Perry <lisakvperry AT gmail.com> wrote:

> We still struggle with our decision to let our oldest son, Spencer, attend
> high school.

Lisa

I, too, was uncomfortable with putting my children in government schools. A
good school would have been fine for my older two--I am not a devout
unschooler, and we had been preparing for the time when they would go to
college by adopting some school-y textbooks and assignments. But this
government school (the "best" in Tallahassee) has been really hard for me to
come to terms with. There's no need to list the problems, the same list
would do for just about any school. The one bright spot is the choral music
program. It's headed by an absolutely fabulous director, the kind who
change students' lives and inspire filmmakers.

I worried most about my youngest. He was in sixth grade when he entered the
government school. His pursuits had not been particularly academic up to
that point. I needn't have worried, though. He's retained his interests
and his delightful lack of sophistication.