homestead - Re: [Homestead] Finding that Homesteading Partner

  • From: "Wendy Gulliver" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Finding that Homesteading Partner
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:35:34 -0500

Lynn, I could have almost written that myself, except that you have more land than I. I only have a horse and a pet pig (I don't eat pigs, I just give them belly-rubs.) I've been married twice. Neither experience would I wish to repeat. My first sounded like Lynn's. My second, while handy around the house, was after a sugar-momma, cleaned me out, ran me into debt and left with me holding the bag. I'm not looking for another husband. However, there are times when it would be nice to have someone around who is larger and stronger than I. (I stand a whole 5'1" and 130lbs on a good day fully clothed and dripping wet, and that last 15lbs is a struggle to keep on.) Maybe because my last husband was so abusive, the thought of having a few "sisters" around appeals to me. After all there is safety in numbers. I hadn't thought about this until this thread came up, but I don't think the notion of homestead of a few ladies and a shared man sounds so wacky at all.

Wendy

I agree in principle. I have 3 dogs, a barn full of cats, farm animals,
and 2 kids (human type). I've also just gotten a bunch of calves to raise
(for my pastured beef business), and that takes care of all my 'nurturing'
tendancies. I'm finally on my own at 50, and feel like my life is just
starting. I DON'T work off the farm, so I spend most of my time alone, but
I'm not lonely....I could easily become one of those crazy ladies that
lives alone in the woods and frightens little kids.

My experience with having a man around was not pleasant (my ex was
dysfunctional and useless, to put it mildly), but there are
certain...er...physical aspects that I'm not ready to give up. This is not
a populated area, so there is a real shortage of single men, and most of
the ones my age just got dumped by their wives and are looking for a
mommy/maid.

Lynn