homestead - Re: [Homestead] Finding that Homesteading Partner

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw AT chilitech.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Finding that Homesteading Partner
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:29:00 -0500

From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
> In a well-written essay, this would all come to a point. So this is
> the point: all a competent woman needs is a good dog and a few
> faithful cats. And she may not need that if she's a stout soul.

I agree in principle. I have 3 dogs, a barn full of cats, farm animals,
and 2 kids (human type). I've also just gotten a bunch of calves to raise
(for my pastured beef business), and that takes care of all my 'nurturing'
tendancies. I'm finally on my own at 50, and feel like my life is just
starting. I DON'T work off the farm, so I spend most of my time alone, but
I'm not lonely....I could easily become one of those crazy ladies that
lives alone in the woods and frightens little kids.

My experience with having a man around was not pleasant (my ex was
dysfunctional and useless, to put it mildly), but there are
certain...er...physical aspects that I'm not ready to give up. This is not
a populated area, so there is a real shortage of single men, and most of
the ones my age just got dumped by their wives and are looking for a
mommy/maid.

Lynn