homestead - Re: [Homestead] Finding that Homesteading Partner

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Finding that Homesteading Partner
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 17:11:11 -0600

. . . the thought of having a few "sisters" around appeals to me. After all there is safety in numbers. I hadn't thought about this until this thread came up, but I don't think the notion of homestead of a few ladies and a shared man sounds so wacky at all.

Not so wacky at all, indeed. There are two such enclaves north of me, in the general area of Ava, Missouri. I have been to Hawk Hill Farm, where perhaps a half dozen women live in several houses. No men. There is a larger enclave west, I think, of Ava, but I have not been there. It was started by a woman for abused women. Men are not welcome at all because some of the women are traumatized by the mere sight.