homestead - Re: [Homestead] Environmental sanity signs

  • From: DSanner106 AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Environmental sanity signs
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:35:29 EST

In a message dated 11/21/2006 5:40:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

I received today the last book in my latest broken order from
Amazon.com. I opened the box and was delighted to not find ---
Styrofoam peanuts! Chris and I have wrapped and mailed thousands of
books and finally we see the solution to protecting the corners of
paperback books from customer outrage: a simple, single piece of
cardboard fastened to the book, the cardboard slightly larger than
said book's outlines.

Publishers started shipping this way to bookstores about 10 years ago, but a
lot of smaller distributors and of course the bookstores didn't have the
money to buy the equipment for this method. Just a matter of time before they

get the price down enough for all to afford. Until then, peanuts will hang on
suppose. One company I used switched to actual popcorn, and encouraged the
recipient to feed the birds.

Drew