homestead - Re: [Homestead] Update on homesteady things

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Update on homesteady things
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:31:28 -0500

Tracy J wrote:
It sure doesn't sound like you've not been accomplishing anything.
Sometimes, it sounds like you do more things in one day than I do in a
week. :)

Nah, I just enumerate them well. ;)
I guess I'd rather complete projects than day to day work/chores. Things seem to take forever and I never finish a job when I want to.

And seeds? Man, I just got everything mulched for winter here.
I don't really start thinking of seeds until February when I'm up to my ass
in snow and wishing for summer (which begins in the middle of June
sometimes).

Well, I sow a lot of summer veggies in late January and since my 'beat the bugs' project worked so well last year, I'm going to do it again and transplant things before the last frost, which for this area is usually the last week of March, the first week of April. I'm kind of excited about the garden for next year since the chickens should be a help instead of a hindrance and I should have more raised beds to plant into before Spring. There's a lot to do, though.
Minnesota. That's rough. I feel like I've been there after hearing Rob describe his life up there in years past. I suspect you have to do much more mulching than I do. You mulch to protect against the cold, I mulch to converse moisture in the summer.
This year, I will have a lot of tomatoes and peppers, but I can't bring myself to even think about that yet. First comes the spring garden: peas, carrots, radishes, greens, and cole crops. The only thing I need to do now for next summer is get some sweet potatoes rooting.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky