homestead - Re: [Homestead] Let them garden!

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Let them garden!
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 07:44:26 -0600

I think there are plenty of poor people who don't have good survival skills.
I've worked professionally with a large number of extremely poor people over
the course of my career. I recall talking with one young man who was in
desperate need of a job. He did not have decent interview clothes. I
suggested that he go to Good Will or the Salvation Army, or, better yet, an
upscale resale shop. He had enough money to outfit himself well at such a
store, but not enough to buy new. He looked at me like I had two heads - it
was a completely foreign concept to him. I told him that I was wearing a
business outfit that I obtained at an upscale resale store for a total of
less than $10 for the outfit. It was a completely new and foreign concept to
him.
Gloria