homestead - Re: [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:40:03 -0600

I've been on this list for a long time and have found that you guys are sure a caring, knowledgeable lot...But this thread has kind of surprised me...Where is the compassion?

It's all my fault. I started this thread with the subject line: Let them garden! This was my facetious allusion to "Let them eat cake," largely attributed to Marie Antoinette but that is disputed by her biographer and historians. Regardless of whomever first spoke it, the flippant phrase is used as an example of uncaring ignorance about the plight of hungry peasants.

Like humor, allusion and subtlety are often missed or misunderstood. You may recall that I lay the fault squarely with the author.