homestead - [Homestead] Food Security

  • From: "Tracy J" <tracy9j AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Food Security
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:28:36 -0600

Wow. You guys are really kind of hard core on this topic. I suppose that we could look down our noses at people who don't garden or people who use Starbucks as their coffee pot. I mean, doesn't everyone have a big yard to grow most of their food? Doesn't everyone live in a neighborhood zoned for agriculture so they can raise eggs/milk/meat?

I guess those people that have been born, raised, and work (or not work) in the inner cities are just whiners when they are told by the government that they can live just fine by using the governments "Thrifty Plan" that figures you can go to the supermarket to buy your food and provide well balanced, nutritious meals for $3.66 a day, per person, in a family of four with an income of $20,000 a year. Not to mention living in areas that charge a hell of a lot more for groceries than the big box grocery stores in the 'Burbs.

Granted, the majority of people in this country are overweight and eat poorly. People probably go out to eat at McDonald's way too often, too. But lets tell the people who really are hungry to go dumpster diving for their food. It's still good. Not too moldy and the extra penicillin probably wouldn't hurt them anyway if it was.

Take it from someone who has experienced large unwanted weight lose because of no money and who has dumpster dived to feed herself and her kid. It isn't very fun to be really and truly hungry. To go for days until the garden has something that has ripened enough to eat. And then, wait until the kid has eaten enough so that you can maybe get something off his plate. It is something that I will never forget. But I was lucky. I had a 1/2
acre of land and a garden. Otherwise, there would have been much more begging and dumpster diving because in those days, there were no food shelves and the Mission charged 50 cents per meal and I didn't have even that much money to give.

Tracy Julian
in East North-Central Minnesota