homestead - Re: [Homestead] Let them garden!

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Let them garden!
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:13:27 -0500

City or no city, jail or no jail, anyone sufficiently hungry would build
a small cooking fire in their backyard or fireplace. I've never been to
an apartment complex that did not provide a small outdoor grill if they
did not allow people to have grills on the breezeway, deck, or patio.
You can find these grills in parks, campgrounds, and day use areas. I
don't think there's any excuse for not building a small cooking fire,
unless of course one didn't have the knowledge to start one. I guess
that's possible, too.
I've always said that if I ever became homeless, I'd walk to the
nearest landfill and create my own little hobo camp in the woods nearby.
A landfill is a great resource for just about anything you might need
for food, clothing, and shelter. You'd get used to the smell,
eventually, and you could even trap or kill bird or rodents for food, if
need be.

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:
Of course, there's always the campfire, too, which would work for
corn, potatoes, meat, shoot, almost anything.

That is a sound pragmatic choice. About seventy-five percent of American people live in cities. Making a campfire in many places in cities is a good way to go to jail. Being in jail is a good way to get fed. Why waste time and energy earning money, buying potatoes and
fuel, and then cooking? Put a book in your shirt, go to jail, read and relax and wait to be fed.