homestead - [Homestead] sauerkraut

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] sauerkraut
  • Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:43:13 -0800 (PST)

This was posted on another group I associate with.
Just wondered if anyone has any advice I might pass on
to them.
Van Dell

I found a recipe to make sauerkraut in Grandma's
cookbook and
followed it to the letter but I have a problem and
I'm hoping someone can
help.

I checked the process after a full 6 weeks as
directed. Everything
looked fine but when I tasted it, all it tastes like
is slightly salty
cabbage. It never fermented! Can I save this 30# mess?
Can I force it
too ferment somehow? I was all ready to can the
results, bought extra
jars and rings. Now I have nothing to can.