homestead - Re: [Homestead] Disappearing chickens

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Disappearing chickens
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 16:40:46 -0600

Yesterday, remember I said I was in and out of the house, something killed a chicken in the middle of the afternoon. All signs point to a raccoon, except that it happened in the day. I found a headless, neckless
chicken in the middle of the pen, at least 10 feet from a fence.

Lots of critters kill chickens. Some will kill even though they are not hungry. Weasels and mink are voracious killers. Coons will almost always feed on the kill unless scared away. How's the bottom of your fence? And of course there are hawks, but they don't rip the head off, I think. How about coyotes? How about that neighbor's dog?