homestead - Re: [Homestead] Disappearing chickens

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Disappearing chickens
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 14:40:16 -0400

It sounds like weasel to me, Bev.
I know how frustrating this can be.
One thing we did to cut down on night time marauders was to position a live
trip across the hen door into our chicken house. We've managed to catch a
couple of hens in it, as well as a possum or two. I think the raccoons are
too smart to get in the trap. At least, we've mostly stopped losing birds
at night. Since ours free-range, most of them are in tree tops, but the
younger, more tender ones use the chicken house.

Two days ago, we lost our oldest hen -- Hole-In-The Head. She earned her
name from an encounter with a predator when she was a youngster. For the
last year she has been wheezing and we've said she wouldn't be around long.
Well, it was broad daylight when a hawk took her. Husband hear a ruckus and
discovered the hawk with her body. Even though she was non-productive (at
about 10 years of age!), and probably too tough to chew, we miss her. She
was the one who roosted in the pecan tree above my car nightly and caused
me to have to park my car elsewhere.

Well, I hope you can solve the mystery. Husband has done a late-night
stakeout over the poultry a few times. Usually, there is no activity when
he's out there, but he has managed to corner a couple of possums who were
probably up to no good.
Lynn