homestead - Re: [Homestead] Disappearing chickens

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Disappearing chickens
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 13:24:40 -0500

On 11/14/06, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

I'm frustrated. My chicken count is going down quickly.

Good luck. I feel for you. Wear warm clothes if you go with your last
option.

We had a similar problem off/on before the darn adopted stray dog killed the
remaining chickens. We learned that a coon or opposum was crawling under
the side of the hen house and trying to pull a chicken back out, it ended up
leaving most of the chicken body inside for youngest son to discover the
next morning. Filled in and blocked various holes with wire. Youngest son,
now 11, still wants more chickens next spring--and how many have we lost
(and found, some not found) over the last seven years? We have a full animal
graveyard and yet he wants more. I'm starting to believe my husband that
they aren't worth the trouble (and heartache) since we don't butcher them.
If we butchered them, it might be differerent--but we don't. They'd be worth
$10-12 each (before subtracting cost) at approx. $2.75/lb, the price for
local chicken at two area markets. We fed them, we let them "free range" on
bugs and greens, we collected eggs...and then they died. Then there are the
two stellar border collies who alternately care for the chickens by
shepherding them or occasionally chasing them around the farm.

Lisa