homestead - Re: [Homestead] Disappearing chickens

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Disappearing chickens
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 18:22:18 -0800

At 11/14/2006 09:49 AM,EarthNSky wrote:
I'm frustrated. My chicken count is going down quickly.

In MN we let the dogs run free, couldn't afford the fencing and had no problems with predators and the chickens. I had a lot of chickens so maybe one would disappear now and then, I never noticed it.
The dogs started running deer so I had to lock them up, I still didn't have the cash for fencing the whole place so I used what stock panels I had and made them a yard. After that I did start noticing the chickens disappearing, lot's of chickens disappeared.
FWIW I did get a shot at a fox calmly walking down our driveway with a chicken in it's mouth.
There is a lot to be said for having dogs that have the run of the place.

Lisa was talking about chickens this spring... I'd get a dozen (or so) and enjoy them and their eggs as long as they last. Chickens scratching in the yard and fresh eggs are both good things.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA