homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 08:21:28 -0400

So crossing a Boer with a milk goat will give a better meat goat than a
strict dairy goat, it's still probably not going to prove to be a reliable
meat
source.

If you knew for a fact that you were going to eat the offspring, maybe. But
the prospects of raising up replacement does, or does for sale, IMO outweighs
the benefits of intentionally crossing the two types of goats.

Well, I just needed to breed the Alpine-Nubian X does and #17 my Boer
buck was the only candidate for the job :>)

I figure that eating the offspring will be better and if these girls
milk OK, I can get a Nubian buck to do the job next year.

Rob - Va