homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:06:31 -0700

Well, if you want to make the "experts" absolutely crazy, tell them you are running your "whatever" with many different types of livestock. All our "mamas" pastured together, mares, cows, ewes, does. They all "birthed" together and it was really interesting to watch as there would be "rings" of watching mamas who would take care that no intruders bothered the new mom.

Over the years we've lost a few new babies but not from all the "expert" cries of doom and gloom. Dogs, FiFi and Precious that would never do such a thing, were the problems until we got the Borzoi and the donkeys. Never had any problems after that.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "KNat" <knat AT sprintmail.com>
Isolating a ewe in the "jug" every
book (even homesteading books) had me building defeated their flock care
system. If I instead provide a safe area for a few pregnant ewes and a
midwife ewe (basically clean, out of weather, with material for nests,
and dad outside until after birthing) they handle remarkable things up
to and including turned lambs. The older ewes coach first timers and
return their lambs to them. I now believe those small farmers in their
fussing and isolating to control everything about feed and temperature
are causing much of their heartache losses at delivery. The nights of
alarm clocks and "checking" instead of sleeping are unnecessary if
animals live more of our lives together. Our ewes call if they want me
(which they sometimes do even if they don't want me to do anything
particular, that's okay.) It's not that we never lose one. But, when we
do, it is a group effort and a group loss. It's also much less often
than my first mentors, who accept a few losses every year. Much more
where I choose to fit in. I only started with raising meat because I was
concerned about the lives of commercial meat animals. It doesn't work to
think of them as a market commodity for meat or shows. Trying to do a
commodity model didn't fit me (but we also don't spend anywhere near the
costs of those sheep hobbiests so it is much more affordable.)
Thanks all.

Peace,
Kathyann