homestead - Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Goats and Hay
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:01:43 -0400

On 10/24/06, Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com> wrote:
It depends -- as others have said -- how much pasture and brouse you
have, but I'd feed a couple of bales every three or four days (spread
out over the days). If you have feeders, keep an eye on how well they
are cleaning the hay up. If they don't clean up every little bit, I
back off (unless it's first cutting and has really tough stems).

Thanks, I really think that this all goes back to know your animals
and I don't....yet!

Something else that no one has mentioned, I don't think. Don't put a
big round bale in the pen with the goats. More than one goat owner has
had a goat or two disappear and only found the remains under the
collapsed bale when they cleaned the spot where the bale was placed.

I've heard that and point taken!

Rob