homestead - Re: [Homestead] American Chestnuts

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American Chestnuts
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 12:49:41 -0400

Bill Jones wrote:

I don't know about chestnuts, but in general it sure does. That's
why I was crowing when my little English walnut seedling had 8 whole
nuts this year. I guess that's the reason for doing grafting (for
trees whose cuttings won't sprout directly), so that the top part is
genetically identical to a known cultivar that bears lots of nuts.
If your original tree was not a graft (or cutting -- harder to tell),
then chances are that the new seedlings will perform similarly well.

It was not a graft.
Lemme make sure I understand...you are saying that cuttings would make
better nut trees than the seeds, but that it is more difficult to get
them started? I'm not talking about grafting, just rooting the cuttings.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky