homestead - Re: [Homestead] American Chestnuts

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] American Chestnuts
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:38:54 -0700

Cutting will produce true to what you have already gotten. Being a hybrid, the seeds may be sterile or they could produce a tree that is like whatever the parents or grandparents, etc. of the tree were.

We've never had any problem roots cuttings. We're going to try our hand at grafting next.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>

It was not a graft.
Lemme make sure I understand...you are saying that cuttings would make
better nut trees than the seeds, but that it is more difficult to get
them started? I'm not talking about grafting, just rooting the cuttings.